Women are known to shop when they're depressed, which can lead to overspending and developing unhealthy spending habits in the future. A study from University of Hertfordshire in the UK says that 60 percent of the women surveyed named feeling low as a reason for shopping, and admitted to feeling better after their shopping spree. In the long run, after an emotionally based shopping spree, some women felt guilty about their purchases and even worried about their finances.
So, beauties, I'm here to save you from maxing out your credit cards. I know that it is always tempting to go shopping when you're sad because it's a quick pick-me-up, but there are other alternatives that you can use for free!
- Take a bubble bath. I always feel a lot better once I take a long bubble bath. My advice is to soak for at least thirty minutes or more. Light some candles and put some relaxing music on, too.
- Give yourself a manicure. Don't go out and buy new nail polish, use what you have. Opt for a red shade of polish, as it is a power color.
- Read a book. There is nothing like re-reading your favorite book. I've read Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin at least three times. If you are looking for something new to read, go to the library--it's free!
- Take a walk. There is nothing more refreshing than stepping outside into the sunlight, and the weather is cooling off nicely, so you won't be too hot. Bonus points if you have a dog to bring with you.
- Watch your favorite movie. Movies completely remove me from the world, even if it's only for a few hours. If there is something bothering you that you can't seem to get your mind off of, watching a movie is a wonderful alternative. It is best to watch a movie that is upbeat with a lot of comedy to keep you laughing.
- And last but not least, laugh. They don't say laughter is the best medicine for nothing! So how does one find something humorous in times of trouble? Try surfing the web. A few popular sites with a lot of Gen-Y humor are Fail Blog, Texts from Last Night, and (my personal favorite) Don't Even Reply.